After 10 years with "J", I am now getting divorced and loosing my house in a short sale. (If you want to know how this all happened, I would recommend reading
this post here and this post here) But I am young, only 25, and I have started to close that chapter and explore the next. This is where I find out what I am made of. This is where I seek 'me'

Monday, February 14, 2011

Expectations and Disappointment

I remember Valentines Day as a pre-teen/teenager in junior high...my Dad used to surprise me by having a dozen long stem red roses wrapped in red tissue paper and gently set in a white box delivered to my school.  I was the happiest girl - no boy could top my Dad.

Somewhere along the line, that got lost.  And by that I mean...the expectations that I was supposed to have for a guy.  They got lowered and lowered and lowered.  And now....I don't even celebrate Valentine's Day.  I told my boyfriend not to even bother getting me a thing.  After all....you can't be disappointed in what you don't have expectations for.

But tonight after a tall glass of wine (just one glass, I promise)  I realized that by not having expectations, I'm just settling.

Settling is what I did when I got married.

Hmmm....time to start re-thinking this whole "dating expectations" thing.

No comments: